Want to find study guides? (CTRL +F "study guide")
- Personal Finance Classwork has moved to the "PF File Cabinet"
May be helpful...
- Help Me Improve My High School Study Skills
- Get More out of Google
- Bias in Sources, Library Guide
- Resource for Graduated Students and Parents - Free Online Financial Literacy Course
- Wise test preparation - Official practice tests and quizzes as well as quizlets
Application for the Cochrane Summer Economics Institute. You must request a letter of recommendation from Ms. Hardesty BEFORE November 20th. The deadline for your application is December 1st.
- Q1: Due 10/7/19 by 3:30pm - Payback essay contest worth 5 extra credit points (to be applied to assignments & quizzes at the end of the quarter). The school winner will be nominated to the national contest. There are 10 national grand prize winners who win $5,000 in cash prizes. Two honorable-mentions per state receive $500.
- Q2: Due 1/13/19 by 8:30am - Options are listed here; you can select ONE option, with the exception of community service.
Pre and post assessments 2019 - 2020
- Quarter 1 Pre-Assessment (all sections)
- Quarter 1 Post-Assessment (all sections)
- Quarter 2 Pre-Assessment (all sections)
- Personal Finance Pre-Assessment (all sections)
Study Guide Test 1 2019
Study Guide Test 2 2019
Study Guide Test 3 2019
Study Guide Test 4 2019
Unit 1: Basic Economic Concepts
- Chapter 1: What is Economics? - Must be logged into ARGS email account to view this reading. Answer end of chapter questions in your notebook or in a Google doc. If you answer the questions in a Google doc, you'll need to share the file with me before class.
- Chapter 2: Thinking like an economist - Must be logged into ARGS email account to view this reading. Answer end of chapter questions in your notebook or in a Google doc.
- Mentioned in class: National Geographic interactive map of the Sacramento Valley
- Video: PPFs and PPFs
- Video: Production of a pencil
- Worksheet from class: PPFs (Credit: Mr. Merrill)
Unit 2: Economic Systems and Issues in the Mixed Market Economy
- 2019 Template for Comparing Economic Systems in-class work for 9/23/19
- Can you make it as an Uber driver? - game that asks "can you make it in the gig economy?"
- Classwork: Capitalism, Socialism, Communism - Classwork for 9/19/18 and 9/20/18
- Examples of student work on Capitalism, Socialism and Communism: 1 2 3 and 4
- Current events assignment - B Day Classes -> 9/19/19
- Modern (Mixed) Market Economy reading - Info about government's role in a mixed market economy and circular flow
- Mentioned in class: Additional information on socialism, hybrid economic systems from the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Module 5: Types of Economies - Reading on the types of economies. Read and answer end of chapter questions.
- Reading on Perceptions of Racial Wealth Divide
- Sears's History Predicts Nearly Everything Amazon is Doing - Yes, really.
- Spend Bill Gates' Money interactive
- Spotlight on Global Economies
- The Amazon Effect is Creative Destruction at its Finest
- Who Feeds Paris Discussion Questions STUDENT VIEW — Questions for Who Feeds Paris discussion - NOT for homework
- Who Feeds Paris? reading — Take notes on this reading for 10/1/18 and 10/2/18. You must be logged into your ARGS email account to view.
- 'It's killing us': Richmond taxi drivers on driving in the age of Uber, Lyft
- Uber Economics: How Markets are Changing in the Sharing Economy — Reading on the sharing economy
- Video: Perverse Incentives from ACDC Leadership
- Video: Circular flow
- Video: What is the Invisible Hand?
- Video: Planet Money Makes a T-Shirt
- Video: Wealth inequality 1 2
Unit 3: The Price System and Supply & Demand
- Conceptual Workshop Elasticity 2017 — Small Group Discussion Questions on Elasticity
- Homework Elasticity 2017 — Due 11/20/17 - 11/21/17
- Homework Mankiw Elasticity — Mankiw Elasticity Homework Questions
- Supply and demand drill — Homework
- Debate Over Minimum Wage in America — The Debate Over Minimum Wage Student Assignment
- Elasticity of Demand Questions Mackinac — Questions for Mackinac Reading
- Kahoot: Shifting supply and demand practice
- Minimum Wage Classwork
- Minimum Wage Laws (Federal, explains exemptions)
- M11DetOfDemand.pdf — Module 11 Determinants of Demand - Must be logged in to view
- M13-M14Supply.pdf — Module 13 and 14 Supply - Must be logged in to view
- M17SD.pdf — M17 - Changes in Supply & Demand
- M18.pdf — Price Controls reading and questions
- Video: Crash Course: Supply and Demand — Video on Supply & Demand from Crash Course
- Video: Determinants of Demand Review.pdf — More in depth review of the determinants of demand
- Video: Supply and Demand - Indiana Jones
- Video: Supply and Demand Video 1
- Video: Supply and Demand Video 2
- Video: Demand vs Quantity Demanded (What's the difference? It's simple.)
- SPENT: Living Paycheck to Paycheck Simulation (Associated with minimum wage)
- Supply and Demand Drill Worksheet from class (Week of 10/21 - 10/26/18)
- Study Guide: Issues in a Mixed Market Economy and Supply and Demand
- Video: Elasticity of Demand and Relationship to Total Revenue
- Video: History of the Minimum Wage (from 2014)
Unit 4: Business Organizations and Labor
- Assignments are here — From How the Market Works
- Business Structures - Advantages and Disadvantages (S Corps through Franchise)
- Choose a Business Structure (Complements lecture on business structures)
- Classwork: Analyzing a Business Plan
- Classwork: What is an Entrepreneur?
- Coffee with Strangers RVA Podcast
- Collin Kaepernick, Nike, and the Myth of Good and Bad Companies - Optional reading
- Disney Conglomerate graphic
- Evaluating Charities - Using Charity Navigator, includes handout
- Fear of a College-Educated Barista - Optional reading from The Atlantic
- Forced Labor is the Backbone of the World's Electronics Market - Optional reading from The Atlantic
- HarfordWhatSupermarketsDont.pdf — Undercover Economist: What Supermarkets Don't Want You to Know
- How I Built This podcast
- How to Calculate Marginal Cost - step by step
- Minimum Wage Laws (Federal, explains exemptions)
- Module 15: Production Costs and Profit Maximization - Must be logged in to view
- Module 20: Types of Businesses reading - Must be logged in to view
- Moral Machine (MIT)
- ProfitMaximization2015.pdf — Profit Maximization PDF
- Reading on Types of Businesses - must be logged in to view
- RichmondBizSense - Great website for keeping up with Greater Richmond Area business news
- Sweet Opportunities.pdf — Sweet Opportunities class assignment
- Video: How Juul made nicotine go viral (2018)
- Video: Simple explanation of Boeing crashes (2019)
- Video: Marginal Product of Labor
- Video: Mergers and Acquisitions
Unit 5: International Economics
- Advantages and disadvantages of the EU
- A Short History of OPEC
- Barriers to Trade - M54; includes tariffs, VERs, embargos, etc. and trade agreements [must be logged in to view]
- BBC: All you need to know about Brexit
- Benefits of Trade - includes info on absolute and comparative advantage must be logged in to view
- Borderline: The U.S. Mexico Border - interactive for understanding the U.S. - Mexico border
- CIA World Factbook - Provides information on history, government, geography, standard of living, trade, resources, education, et cetera about other nations.
- Companion for The Good News about Asian Sweatshops — Naked Economics Trade and Globalization: The good news about Asian sweatshops reading questions
- Council on Foreign Relations: U.S. & Cuba
- Foreign exchange reading (M55) - must be logged in to view
- Investigations in World Trade (2020 assignment)
- Life Comparison Tool - Check out this site to see how other countries' metrics hold up to the United States.
- New York Times: Trump Just Ripped up NAFTA. Here's What's In the New Deal (USMCA)
- OEC: Visualizations of Trade from MIT
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative: Trade Agreements
- Study guide: world trade (shorter test, not for extra credit)
- TEDTalk: What global trade deals are really about (hint: it's not trade)
- A Timeline of U.S. - Iran Relations (PBS)
- The Balance: China Economic Growth: Its Causes, Pros, Cons and Its Future
- VIdeo: Absolute and Comparative Advantage (with practice problems)
- Video: The Economist - America's embargo against Cuba
- Video: The Economics of Trump with Jacob Clifford (2017)
- Video: The European Union Explained Starts off straight-forward, and then you know...shares reality (Thanks, Marie!)
- Video: Key moments in U.S. and Iran's tortured history
- World Trade Current Event — World Trade Current Event Report 2018
Unit 6: A Nation's Economic Goals
- An Animated History of the Minimum Wage — Time Magazine history of the minimum wage (2014)
- CPI Inflation Calculator
- GDP Formula - includes video
- Highest grossing films of all time (adjusted for inflation)
- Textbook reading on GDP - must be logged into view
- Keeping Score GDP Reading - must be logged in to view
- National Output And Income — must be logged in to view; M38
- NBER In Class Assignment
- News: What caused hyperinflation in Venezuela? - woof
- Video: GDP and its components
- Video: What is inflation?
- Video: Unemployment
Unit 7: Role of Government and Fiscal and Monetary Policy
- Answers to student questions from Inside Job - from a variety of sources; must be logged in
- Inside Job - watch online for free (also available to rent on Amazon Prime)
- IRS: Understanding Taxes
- Video: Market Failures
- Your Federal Income Tax Receipt - interactive based on state
- Study Guide: Economic Indicators and Fiscal and Monetary Policy
Stock Market Challenge - runs from December 16 2019 through May 20, 2020 (Closing Bell)
Stock exchange open from 9:30 - 4:00pm
- Instructions for sign-up and your first assignment set - An introduction to the site and many facets of the stock market
- First assignment set list
- Investor Reports from 2017 - 2018 classes
- Stock Market Journal #1 assignment - submit this when you purchase your first stock
- Stock Market Journal #2 assignment - classwork or homework
W!SE Test Preparation 2018 — Wise test preparation. Please do not print off these questions as it may prevent others from printing.
W!SE Test Preparation — PRACTICE TEST LINKS HERE. YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW.
Substitutes or complements? — Taxis vs Uber
How to Add Stock Notifications on iPhone — How to add stock notifications to your smartphone
Law of Diminishing Marginal Return (Video) — Review the Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns here!
Middle Class Calculator — Who is part of the middle class?
NAFTA Explained — NAFTA video from class
Rent Control video from class — Why Rent Control Hurts Renters - Rent Control video from class
This American Life: The News That's Fit to Print — Ira Glass talks to New York Times reporter Charles Duhigg about conditions in Chinese factories.